Maintenance of NCCP Certification
What is Maintenance of Certification?
- In order to maintain certified status, coaches are required to obtain Professional Development (PD) points. PD points can be earned through a multitude of activities in which coaches already participate, including: national and provincial sport organization conferences and workshops, eLearning modules, NCCP workshops, coach mentorship programs, and active coaching. In most cases, coaches are already earning their PD points -- Maintenance of Certification Status is simply the introduction of tracking these points and recognizing coaches for their efforts.
- You can log into the Locker (https://thelocker.coach.ca/home) for an up-to-date record of your PD points. Go to the “Certification” tab and select “Maintenance” on the left side.
Coaches who were certified on or prior to 1 Jan 2014 need the following "Maintenance Points" by 31 Dec 2018 to renew their certifications.
- AI Certified - 10 points in five years
- DC Certified - 20 points in five years
- PC Certified - 30 points in five years
What if I don’t maintain my certified status, what are the consequences?
- In the Locker, your status will be “Certified – Not Renewed”.
- You will not be eligible to coach at national events until your status returns to “Certified”.
- You can return to “Certified” status by earning the requisite points or re-doing the evaluation.
Got questions? Check out the FAQ page on CAC website: http://coach.ca/frequently-asked-questions-p156185&language=en
How to obtain Professional Development (PD) points?
For non-NCCP events, points may be earned at the rate of one (1) point/hour to a maximum of three (3) points per activity. Examples include (but are not limited to):
- WT/PATU coach seminar (required for coaches to participate in "G" ranked events) - 2 points
- Referee seminars (National or IR) - 3 points
- Annual provincial coach conference - 3 points
- Provincial coach training update - [up to] 3 points (requires pre-approval from TC and CAC)
- Poomsae and Kyorugi Training camps - 3 points
NCCP events offer 5 points per workshop, including Locker e-Learning and Locker online evaluations.
E-module available on CAC website (price and point value)