Once a referee has reached National 1st class and has fulfilled the national requirements, and if the minimum international requirements are met, the referee can apply to the National Referee Chairperson, to get Taekwondo Canada’s Presidential approval to attend an international referee seminar.
IR seminars are held a handful of times per year, around the world. The referee will have to get the president’s signature on the application and send it to World Taekwondo. Then the referee will have to:
a. Fly at their own expense to the country in which the seminar is being held.
b. Arrange and pay for accommodation and food during the seminar.
c. The seminar is four days in length and consists of:
d. Testing on the final day, noting a fail in any one of the following will result in an unsuccessful referee, consists of:
1. Patiently await appointments and invitations to events around the world.
2. Travel at their own expense, leaving family, jobs, and clubs behind.
3. Remain current on the often changing and ever fluid rule interpretations.
4. Attend refresher courses every couple of years, noting the same testing requirements to perform and meet the minimum test scores indicated above are required.
5. Share knowledge at home and mentor referees for growth, development and an ongoing succession plan.
Sign up for our email newsletter!