2018 YOG Qualification Team Selection – Summary
- 2018 Youth Olympic Games Qualification Tournament: April 6-7, 2018 in Tunisia.
- According to World Taekwondo, each country may enter 3 male and 3 female athletes at the 2018 YOG Qualification Tournament in Tunisia.
- 2018 Canadian National Championships is the selection event for 2018 YOG Qualification Team.
- 5 YOG divisions will be contested at the 2018 Canadian Nationals
- Must be Canadian citizen
- Must be TC Affiliate
- Must be KKW and GAL holder
- Must be born January 2001 to December 2002 only
Selection – Phase 1
- Athletes must register in 2018 Canadian National Championships and compete on Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 – YOG 2018 portion
- Five YOG Weight Divisions: Male and Female
- Winners of each of the FIVE YOG weight division will be eligible to be selected to the 2018 YOG QUALIFICATION TEAM.
Selection – Phase 2
- to select 3 Male and 3 Female winners out of the 5 Male and 5 Female winners, POINTS RANKING PROCESS is used, see Section 5 Athlete Selection Process
- Eligibility Points, to a maximum of TWO WT G events, in any WT weight division:
- Events with WT G-1 Ranking: 1st 10, 2nd 6, 3rd 3.6;
- Events with WT G-2 Ranking: 1st 20, 2nd 12, 3rd 7.2.
- The period to earn points is from January 1, 2017 to February 5, 2018, including the 2017 Pan Am Championships (rate as WT G2 event);
- Athletes can earn up to maximum of 30 points between the two WT G events.
- Athletes to submit results/points no later than February 9, 2018.
- The 3 male and 3 female athletes with the highest total points from section 5.2 will be given priority to represent Canada at the 2018 YOG Qualification Tournament.
- Tie Breaker applies: See 2018 YOG Selection
The athletes who earn the quota for Canada at the 2018 YOG Qualification Tournament will be nominated to the Buenos Aires 2018 YOG Taekwondo Team.