Universiade Team announced
A total of 21 athletes has been selected to represent Canada at the 2017 Summer Universiade. 16 Kyorugi and 5 Poomsae athletes are set to grace the mat at the Taoyuan Arena in Taipei City.
The line-up consists of the 2017 Senior National Champion, Anas Sghir (M+54kg, Cégep Ahuntsic), Andrea Jerom (F-53kg, University of Toronto) and Emmanuelle Boudreau (F+73kg, University of Ottawa), as well as the 2017 Calgary National Freestyle Poomsae Team Champions, Angela Sinilaite (University of Waterloo), Kaitlyn Wiens (York University), and Maria Inez Philip (York University).
The taekwondo competition will take place from August 20 to August 26, including the first two days for the Poomsae competition, followed by the Individual Kyorugi (August 22-25) and Team Kyorugi event (August 26).
Rachel Cuma was selected by Taekwondo Canada as the Team Ambassador for this exciting event. She will be providing daily recaps and taking over Taekwondo Canada’s Instagram (@taekwondocanada) account during the competition.
Our High Performance staff, Jamie Dossantos is looking forward to this event. “The Universiade is the second largest event in the world, behind the Olympic Games. An amazing opportunity for university athletes to have the experience of a multi-sport games.”
“Taekwondo is a World Taekwondo G-2 ranking competition for Kyorugi individual and Kyorugi team events, winners receive 20 points towards their World/Olympic ranking. The Canadian roster is comprised with prior and current national champions looking to move up on their World Taekwondo ranking at this Kyorugi competition. It will be an exciting two weeks for our Canadian team, led by Kyorugi Coaches Dan Thornton, Katy Pyke, Patrick Soucy and William Rodgers, along with Poomsae Coach David Seo.”
Taekwondo Canada Universiade Team:
- Abbas Jr. Assadian/Ryerson University: Poomsae male individual
- Chloe Lee Poomsae/University of Calgary: Poomsae female individual
- Maria Inez Philip/York University: Poomsae female team
- Angela Sinilaite/University of Waterloo: Poomsae female team
- Kaitlyn Wiens/York University: Poomsae mixed pair and Poomsae female team
- Anas Sghir/Cégep Ahuntsic: M -54kg
- Shane Britton/Kwantlen Polytechnic University: M -58kg
- Jackson Carroll/Saint Mary’s University: M -63kg
- Hunter Carroll/Saint Mary’s University: M -68kg
- Éloi Paradis-Deschênes/Université Laval: M -74kg
- Adam Tomlinson/University of Ottawa Institute of Technology: M -80kg
- Éthienne Brunet/Cegep de Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu: M -87kg
- Hayk Amirbekyan/University of Toronto: M +87kg
- Crystal Chan/University of Toronto: F -46kg
- Viviane Tranquille/College Lafleche: F -49kg
- Andrea Jerom/University of Toronto: F -53kg
- Ruxandra Rodgers/York University: F -57kg
- Gabrielle Rousseau/Université Laval: F -62kg
- Ashlyn Arnold/Douglas College: F -67kg
- Rachel Cuma/York University: F -73kg
- Emmanuelle Boudreau/University of Ottawa: F +73kg
Coaches and Staff
- Medical: Rick Lau
- Coach: Kathy Pyke, William Rodgers, Hyun-Seok Seo, Patrick Soucy, Daniel Thornton